Crispy Tofu Breakfast Sandwich
This absolute dream of a sandwich is loaded with crispy tofu, marinated in an umami, flavour-packed stock, garlicky spinach, seared umami mushrooms, juicy tomatoes and chilli jam.
For the tofu:
- 300g block extra-firm tofu
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Yondu Vegetable Umami Sauce
For the mushrooms:
- vegetable oil
- 400g mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 tsp Yondu Vegetable Umami Sauce
For the spinach:
- Vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 400g spinach
For the tofu dredging station:
- 150ml plant milk
- 1 tbsp Yondu Vegetable Umami Sauce
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 8 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
- For the sandwich:
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 individual ciabatta loaves
- 8 tbsp chilli jam
- Whisk the vegetable stock and Yondu Vegetable Umami Sauce.
- Pat the tofu dry then slice it into 4 pieces. Transfer to a wide shallow bowl and cover with the umami stock. Marinate for at least 1 hour, or longer if you have time (the longer it marinates, the tastier it’ll be).
- Meanwhile, heat a splash of vegetable oil in a large frying pan set over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, tossing every 4 to 5 minutes (but mostly undisturbed), until golden brown. This should take 10 to 15 minutes – the mushrooms will first let out lots of moisture before they begin to brown. At this point, add the Yondu Vegetable Umami Sauce and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for a further 1 minute. Set aside.
- Add a splash of vegetable oil to the same frying pan, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, before adding your spinach. Cook until wilted, then season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes, then set aside.
- Whisk the plant milk and Yondu Vegetable Umami Sauce in a small bowl – this is your wet mix. Place the flour in another bowl and season with salt and pepper. Finally, place the panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Drain the tofu and lightly pat dry. Dredge each tofu slice in the seasoned flour, then the wet mix, then the panko breadcrumbs, then go back into the wet mix and finally, back into the panko. The double coating will make it extra crispy.
- Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large saute pan set over a medium heat. Shallow fry the tofu pieces until golden on all sides.
- At this point, you can reheat your mushrooms and spinach or leave them at room temperature. Press your spinach through a sieve to remove some of the moisture.
- Assembly time! Slice and toast your ciabatta, then spread chilli jam on both sides. Add a few tomato slices, then the spinach, then the mushrooms, then the crispy tofu and finally the chilli-jammed top bun, then tuck in and enjoy!