22 Jan Curried Leek and Potato SoupPrint
Curried Leek and Potato Soup
A twist on a classic winter warmer
This delicious, plant-based soup is creamy, hearty and full of flavour, with just a hint of heat. It’s spiced with cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and other warming spices and uses both regular and sweet potatoes. The addition of coconut cream at the end gives the soup a creamy, silky smooth texture. Bonus: it’s naturally vegan and gluten-free, is incredibly easy to make and comes together in just 30 minutes! Serve it with crusty bread for a warming dinner.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soups, Vegan
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- 500 g white parts of leeks, sliced (save the green tops for stock or another soup)
- 300 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 cm pieces
- 200 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 cm pieces
- 2 tsps curry powder (I used Madras curry powder)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mild Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 800 ml good-quality vegetable stock, plus more
- 250 ml coconut cream
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, potatoes and sweet potatoes and toss to coat in the coconut oil.
- Add the curry powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, Kashmiri chilli powder and salt and toss again to coat.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium/medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and stir to combine. Cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Purée the soup in a blender until silky smooth then pour it into a clean saucepan. Season with salt, to taste. I used 1 tsp. It might seem like a lot but there’s a lot of liquid to season!
- Reheat the soup to a gentle simmer, adding some extra stock if the soup is too thick for your liking. Pour into bowls and serve with crusty bread – enjoy!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!