With cucumber and basil
Personally, I’m not a big fan of hot soups in summer. Cold soups, on the other hand, are perfection, and this green gazpacho is delicious, light and oh-so fresh. It doesn’t require any heat or cooking; just a quick blitz in a blender and some chill time in the fridge to allow the flavours to develop and meld together.
This green version of the Spanish classic swaps tomatoes and peppers for cucumber, avocado and basil. The cucumber brings a cool savouriness, the avocado body, and the basil freshness. It truly is the perfect refresher on a hot summer’s day! You can enjoy it on its own with good crusty bread, or pair it with a salad and sandwich for a heartier meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soups, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- ½ avocado, roughly chopped
- 15 g fresh basil leaves
- 4 tbsps water
- 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsps sherry vinegar
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and season generously with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Blitz until smooth. If necessary, you can add a little bit of olive oil or water to thin things out.
- Taste and adjust seasoning; you might want to add an extra splash of sherry vinegar and/or pinch of salt. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. To serve, pour into bowls and top with your favourite toppings, or serve in shot glasses for a light dinner party hors d’oeuvre – enjoy!
- Note: gazpacho gets better as it chills, so you can keep it in the fridge for quick meals throughout the week.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!