29 Aug Hot Honey Charred CabbagePrint
Hot Honey Charred Cabbage
Cabbage gets an unfairly bad rap. It’s affordable, incredibly versatile and absolutely delicious when cooked correctly. Charring cabbage creates the most beautiful sweet, nutty flavour. Topped with a simple hot honey made with just 2 ingredients and served over tangy whipped goat’s cheese, it makes for a stunning veggie centrepiece.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 pointed cabbages (also known as sweetheart or hispi cabbage), quartered lengthways through the base
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 150g soft goat’s cheese
- 2 heaped tbsp greek yoghurt
- 80 ml honey
- 2 tsp calabrian chillies (or chilli oil of choice)
- 2 limes, zest and juice (or lemon)
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat your oven to 200°C/ fan 180°C. Drizzle the cabbage with extra-virgin olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper and rub to coat.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Working in two batches, place the cabbage wedges cut-side down and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until charred. Flip and cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes, or until charred on the other side.
- Transfer the cabbage to a roasting tin cut-side up and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place the goat’s cheese and greek yoghurt in a medium mixing bowl, season with a pinch of salt and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Finally, place the honey and calabrian chillies in a small saucepan set over a medium heat. Bring to a simmer then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Place a wire rack on top of a large oven tray. Once the cabbage is done, arrange it on the wire rack in a single layer, charred side down, and leave for 5 minutes. This will help drain some of the naturally occurring moisture, which would turn the base of the dish into a soupy mess.
- To serve, spread the whipped goat’s cheese over a large plate or platter. Top with the cabbage and drizzle the hot honey over the top. Finish with the lime zest and juice and parsley then serve and enjoy.