19 Sep Layered Chickpea And Roasted Vegetable SaladPrint
Layered Chickpea And Roasted Vegetable Salad
Eating the rainbow has never been so easy with this delicious, autumnal salad with layers and layers of flavour and texture. It’s packed with roasted and marinated peppers and aubergines, tender Tuscan kale and plump chickpeas, tossed with a delicious harissa tahini dressing.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
For the salad:
- 2 aubergines
- 4 large red sweet pointed peppers
- 20g fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 20g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 preserved lemons, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp preserved lemon brine
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 200g cavolo nero or kale
- 300g dried giant couscous
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
For the dressing:
- 100g good-quality tahini
- 100ml water
- 1 heaped tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tbsp agave nectar or honey
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Lemon wedges, for squeezing over
- Heat your oven to 220°C / fan 200°C. Line two medium baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Cut the aubergines and sweet pointed peppers into large, 3 to 4 cm chunks. Arrange the aubergines in a single layer on one of the baking trays, without any oil or seasoning. Do the same with the sweet pointed peppers on the other tray. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, or until softened and browned on the outside.
- Meanwhile, place the fresh parsley, fresh coriander, preserved lemons, preserved lemon brine and olive oil and season very generously with salt and pepper. This is the vegetable marinade. Set aside for later.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk to combine. It’ll split at first but after a few seconds, it will come together as a smooth creamy dressing. Set aside.
- Cook the giant couscous according to the package instructions, then rinse with cold water and drain. Set aside.
- Remove the stems from the cavolo nero. Stack the leaves and slice them into thin, long ribbons. Transfer to a large bowl, season with salt and add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable marinade. Massage for 1 minute, or until the cavolo nero just starts to wilt.
- By this point, the peppers and aubergines should be done. Toss them with the remaining dressing and set aside.
- Assembly time. Pour the dressing into a 2.5l to 3l glass jar. Top with the chickpeas, then the peppers, then the aubergines, then the cavil nero, and finally the couscous. Once ready to serve, flip the jar into a large salad bowl and top with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and serve with lemon wedges.