15 Aug Marinated Aubergine (Eggplant) CiabattaPrint
Marinated Aubergine Ciabatta
I’ve roasted and marinated aubergines in lots of herbs, garlic and preserved lemon. They’re delicious as is, in a salad, with pasta, you name it. Here I’ve decided to turn them into an epic sandwich.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
For the aubergines:
- 3 medium aubergines
- 15g fresh-flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 10g fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 2 preserved lemons, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp preserved lemon brine
- 75ml extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of chilli flakes
For the sandwich:
- 4 individual ciabatta loaves
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 100g mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp basil pesto
- Handful of salad leaves
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, halved lengthways
- 300g fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Heat your oven to 220°C / fan 200°C.
- Slice the aubergines into 2cm thick rounds and arrange in a single layer in one (or two) large greaseproof paper-lined baking tray(s).
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, place the flat-leaf parsley, fresh basil, garlic, preserved lemon, preserved lemon brine and chilli in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix to combine.
- Transfer the hot, cooked aubergines to the bowl and toss gently to coat.
- Halve the ciabatta loaves, brush with extra-virgin olive oil and pop under the grill for 5 mins, or until toasted.
- Combine the mayonnaise and basil pesto in a small bowl.
- To assemble, spread the bottom of each ciabatta with some of the pesto mayo. Top with some salad leaves, slices of tomato, roasted red pepper and mozzarella, and some of those marinated aubergines. Top with the other half of the ciabatta and you’re all set!