This Japanese-inspired aubergine recipe is all about the sweet, savoury and umami-forward miso glaze. Scoring the aubergine helps it absorb these flavours, making for a delicious plant-based main that comes together in less than 30 minutes.
All you need to do is pan fry the scored aubergine halves for a few minutes, top with them the miso glaze, and finish them under the grill in the oven until the glaze is bubbling and caramelised.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 4 medium aubergines
- neutral oil
- 3 tbsp white miso paste
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- Start by scoring the aubergine. To do this, cut the aubergine in half lengthwise. Using the tip of a small, sharp knife, make small incisions in a crosshatch pattern. You don’t want to go deep enough that you cut through the skin; stop about a halfway down into the flesh.
- Heat a splash of neutral oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the aubergines to the frying pan skin-side down and cook undisturbed for 8 to 10 minutes, or until browned.
- Flip the aubergines and cook until they’re cooked through and the flesh is browned, 3 to 5 minutes depending on the size of your aubergine. You can check whether they’re cooked by piercing the flesh with a fork – it should be tender.
- Heat your oven grill to high, then place the white miso paste, mirin and sugar in a small bowl and whisk until smooth and well-incorporated.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Place the aubergine halves in a single layer, flesh-side up. Generously top them with the miso glaze, ensuring that all of the surface is covered.
- Grill in the oven until the glaze is bubbling, golden and charred in places, around 5 minutes, then serve, preferably with steamed rice and your veg of choice.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!