30 Jan Nduja Sausage RollsPrint
Nduja Sausage Rolls
with a Homemade Red Pepper & Chilli Jam
Who doesn’t love a sausage roll? They’re great for summer parties and picnics and are equally enjoyable on cold days, when all you want is something comforting.
This recipe takes sausage rolls to the next level by adding nduja, a soft, spicy sausage from the region of Calabria in southern Italy. Flavour wise, it’s salty, smoky and a little funky (the good kind of funk!). It adds huge depth of flavour and transforms the humble sausage rolls into something special and incredibly delicious. You can find nduja in certain supermarkets, many Italian delicatessens and/or online.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 small sausage rolls 1x
- Category: Meat
For the sausage rolls:
- 400 g pork sausage meat
- 100 g nduja, softened
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 2 x 215g ready-rolled puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg
- sesame seeds, optional
For the tomato and chilli jam:
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 echalion shallot
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, halved
- 60 g double concentrated tomato purée
- 3 tbsps brown sugar
- 250 ml water
- 200 g jarred roasted red peppers, drained and finely chopped
For the red pepper and chilli jam:
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and season with a pinch of sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, around 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and scotch bonnet and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute then add the tomato purée and cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to darken and caramelise, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, water and roasted red peppers and season with sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Stir to combine, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the scotch bonnet halves. Adjust seasoning, to taste, then transfer the to a bowl and set aside.
For the sausage rolls:
- Heat your oven to 200℃ / fan 180℃ and line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Place the sausage meat, nduja and dried Italian herbs in a food processor and blitz until well-combined. No need for salt and pepper! If you don’t have a food processor, you can mix the ingredients by hand to combine.
- Unroll the first pastry sheet. Place half of the sausage mixture onto the sheet and form it into a long cylinder in the middle of the sheet. Tightly roll the pastry around the sausage cylinder and brush the ends with beaten egg to secure. Repeat with the other sheet and the remaining sausage mixture.
- Cut each roll into 8 pieces with a sharp knife. Note: these will keep, covered and frozen, for one month.
- Space the rolls out on the greaseproof paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden, crispy and both the meat and pastry are all the way cooked through. If cooking from frozen, bake for an additional 10 minutes. Serve with the red pepper and chilli jam and enjoy!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!