04 Feb Quick and Easy FlatbreadsPrint
Quick and Easy Flatbreads
If you think you can’t make bread, this recipe is for you. For one, it doesn’t actually involve any baking. And two, it’s so incredibly simple! All you need is 5 ingredients, 1 bowl and 1 pan. The result: soft, fluffy flatbreads with the perfect amount of chew. You can serve them with pretty much anything – grilled meats, dips, curries, soups… you name it. You could even make pizzas out of them! The possibilities really are endless.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Bread
- 300 g self-raising flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp nigella seeds, optional
- 225 g full-fat natural yoghurt
- plain flour, for dusting
- Combine the self-raising flour, baking powder, salt and nigella seeds (if using) in a medium bowl. Add the yoghurt and mix until a shaggy dough forms. Don’t worry about any dry or unincorporated bits.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured work surface and knead until mostly smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. The dough should feel a little sticky. Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover with a plate and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions. Working one at a time, and using a floured rolling pin (or glass bottle), roll each portion into a ½ cm-thick disk. Brush off any excess flour from the surface of the flatbreads. Flour burns easily, and burnt flour tastes horrible!
- Heat a griddle, cast-iron or non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, place one (or two, depending on the size of your griddle) flatbreads on the pan – no butter or oil necessary. Cook until brown spots begin to appear on the bottom and there are air pockets on the surface, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook until browned and charred in places, another 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining flatbreads. You can wrap the cooked ones in foil to help keep them warm. Serve warm and enjoy!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!