08 Aug Sweet Chilli Lime PrawnsPrint
Sweet Chilli Lime Prawns
You only need 4 ingredients to make what might be one of the tastiest prawns you’ll ever have! They’re sweet and sticky, but also zingy and garlicky – the perfect combination of flavours.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1.2 kg frozen head-on, shell-on prawns
- 250 g sweet chilli sauce
- 2 limes, zest and juice, plus extra lime wedges for serving
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- Thaw the prawns. You can do this in a number of ways: 1) Defrost them in the fridge overnight. 2) Place the unopened packet of prawns in a large bowl with cold water, using a plate or something heavy to weigh it down – it should defrost within 45 minutes. 3) Take the prawns out of the packet and place them in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and let sit. Depending on the size of the prawns, the thawing process can take anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes.
- Next, you’ll need to devein the prawns i.e. remove the intestinal tract. To do this, use a pair of scissors to cut down the back of the prawn shell, starting near the head. Gently run a knife down the slit and use your fingers to slightly pry open the prawn. You should now see a black-ish line (the intestinal tract) and you can remove it with the tip of your knife or your fingers.
- Of course, you only need to do this if you’re using head-on, shell-on prawns. If you prefer, you can use shelled prawns instead.
- Place the sweet chilli sauce, lime zest and juice and garlic in a small bowl. Season lightly with salt and mix to combine.
- Heat a splash of oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the prawns for 2 minutes per side.
- Return all the prawns to the large saute pan, add the sauce and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced slightly.
- Plate up the prawns and serve with extra lime wedges – enjoy!