01 Feb Tomato & Red Pepper SaucePrint
Tomato & Red Pepper Sauce
A chunky, rustic tomato and sweet red pepper sauce that is simple yet incredibly flavourful. This delicious sauce is perfect with tender potato gnocchi. It also pairs exceptionally well with cod and other mild fish (see my Baked Cod with Tomato & Red Pepper Sauce recipe here).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Vegan
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion (or white onion), finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 450 g fresh baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 red sweet pointed peppers (red Romano peppers), sliced
- 150 ml water
- sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 5 g fresh basil leaves, torn
- Prep the following ingredients: 1) Finely chop the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. 2) Halve the baby plum tomatoes. 3) Slice the sweet pointed peppers.
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic and season sea salt and some freshly-ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, 15 to 20 minutes; you want the veg to cook gently without taking on any colour.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the halved tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften and release their juices, around 5 minutes. Add the peppers and water, season with sea salt and bring to a simmer. Simmer covered, with the lid slightly ajar, for 5 minutes then simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat; tear and stir in the fresh basil. Taste and season with extra sea salt and freshly-ground pepper, if necessary.
STORAGE: this sauce is best served fresh but will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months; defrost in the fridge overnight before heating.