19 Jun Sticky Chipotle Tofu TacosPrint
Sticky Chipotle Tofu Tacos
These tacos are the perfect combination of flavours and textures. They’re topped with a zingy pineapple slaw, crispy air fried tofu, coated in a sticky, smoky glaze, and chipotle crema. Yum!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 tacos 1x
For the pineapple slaw:
- 300g pineapple, thinly sliced
- ½ cabbage (red, white or a combination of the two), thinly sliced
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, juice only
For the chipotle crema:
- 100g mayonnaise (vegan or regular)
- 1 tsp chipotle paste (or more for added heat)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ lime, juice only
For the tofu:
- 300g extra-firm tofu (I use Tofoo, which doesn’t need pressing)
- 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- vegetable oil
For the chipotle glaze:
- 3 tbsp chipotle paste
- 2 tbsp agave nectar (or honey)
- 2 limes, zest only
- ½ lime, juice only
- Place the pineapple, cabbage, onion, coriander and lime juice in a large mixing bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper, toss to coat and let sit in the fridge while you prepare the other components – the flavour will develop as it sits.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chipotle paste, garlic and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, mix to combine and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat your air fryer to 200°C or your regular oven to 220°C / fan 200°C,
- Pat the tofu dry then tear it into small bitesized pieces – the craggy edges will get nice and crispy when cooked.
- Place the tofu nuggets in a large mixing bowl with the cornflour, ground cumin and smoked paprika and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, add a teaspoon or two of oil and toss again to coat.
- Air fryer method: air fry the tofu for 15 minutes, tossing halfway through, or until golden and crispy.
- Oven method: arrange in a single layer and roast for 25 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Just before the tofu is done, place the chipotle glaze ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then turn the heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened and syrupy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place the tofu in a clean mixing bowl, pour over the glaze and toss to coat.
- Set a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Toast your soft taco shells for 20 seconds-ish per side then transfer to a clean tea towel and cover.
- Assembly time, finally! Top the taco shells with a tablespoon or two of slaw and the sticky tofu pieces. Drizzle the chipotle crema over the top, which you can loosen with a tablespoon or two of water if needed, then serve and enjoy.
This recipe makes more slaw than you need but it makes for a delicious salad the next day!